Wonder Me!
What's in a Nurse Practitioner (NP) student's lab coat pocket?

- Otoscope - pocket (tho most clinics have it, they may not have it in every room and it can become difficult sharing with other clinicians. So, I borrow my bf's)

- Ophthalmoscope - pocket (tho most clinics have it, they may not have it in every room and it can become difficult sharing with other clinicians. So, I borrow my bf's)

- Stethoscope - of course. I can't find my special 21 inch stethoscope on amazon. I bought the shortest one so that sounds can transmit easier and clearer. However, I'd not recommend short length stethoscope because you'll be too close to patients who actively cough or breathe on you. Also, mine doesn't have the diagram, so if you buy a diagram, make sure you press on the surface hard to listen well for smaller sounds.

- Penlight - pocket - I like the one in this link because it's easy to grip, the intensity is good. I love it <3 Tho it doesn't have the pupil sizes. I borrowed it from my bf too hahah <3 Don't buy the cheap ones because the light intensity is not as strong to really test the reflexes.

- Reflex hammer - I like to use this one because it can elicit most reflexes easily. It's easier to grade the reflexes too. The long handle makes it easy to elicit reflexes. The red pointed end is useful for tracking eye fields. Other hammers I bought usually fell out so it's a waste of $$$. So, I bought this one to try it out.

- Pen

- Pencil

- Notebook with cover to jot down notes quickly with cover so that you won't reveal confidential info.

- iPhone - to look up stuff easily

- My wallet

- NP notes or Ambulatory resident's guide or Bates Pocket book - depends on what I feel appropriate

- mini-iPad - for easy pt data entering

I also included links for description of my fav. tools. Hope it helps :)

~Wonder Me!


 
0 Responses

Post a Comment